[Standards] XEP-0060: Item ordering

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 15:32:28 UTC 2018

On 8 August 2018 at 16:17, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at mozilla.com> wrote:
> On 8/8/18 3:17 AM, Philipp Hörist wrote:
>> I always thought the most recent refers to the publish date/time of the
>> item, hence if i override a item it also changes the updated time/date
>> and it becomes the most recent
>
> That seems reasonable. So it's really "last modified item". I'm curious
> what Ralph thinks.

Me too.

I personally have always shared Philipp's interpretation. A publish of
an item is a publish, whether another item already existed with that
id or not.

I'd say this interpretation also makes the most sense if you consider
the perspective of someone subscribed to the node. Requesting the
items will return the same items in the same order that you would have
received them while subscribed, with the obvious exception of items
that have been replaced.

Regards,
Matthew