[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-08-01

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Aug 8 15:39:52 UTC 2018

On Mon, Aug 6, 2018, at 10:25, Tedd Sterr wrote:
> 3b) Proposed XMPP Extension: File Sharing Notifications -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/fsn.html
>> Sam: [on-list] (agree with Kev, but not sure if it should go to Experimental)

-1

As it stands right now there are a few things that really concern me about this XEP. The only one really worth blocking for is the fact that this allows users to send file upload percentages as part of the chat state and I don't think this is something we want to encourage. Instead, it would make more sense to me for each file sending mechanism to have a way to send the total size of the file and allow clients to calculate the percent complete themselves. This makes it harder for a remote client to abuse the protocol (eg. to try and use it as a "time until completion" meter that counts down instead, or to be buggy and cause a meter to jump around on the remote client, making the user think it's their client that's having issues, etc.)
Also, perhaps more importantly, this ties file percent completion to support on the remote client, so a local client wouldn't be able to support it consistently (some file transfers would have it, some wouldn't).

> 3c) PR #682 - XEP-0065, XEP-0363: Document exposing the service on the
> user’s domain - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/682
> Sam: [on-list] (missed this, but looking forward to reading it)
>> Kev: -1 (agree on principle, but not execution; would like to be
> persuaded before it's merged)

I agree with Kev; this seems confusing. -1 for now.

> 3d) Proposed XMPP Extension: Schrödinger's Chat -
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/muc-selfping.html
> Sam: -1 (temporary, until title is made more discoverable)

I still don't love putting the joke in the title at all, but I can live with it now. +1

—Sam