[Standards] XEP-0060: Item ordering

Timothée Jaussoin edhelas at movim.eu
Wed Aug 8 15:48:51 UTC 2018

Le mercredi 08 août 2018 à 16:32 +0100, Matthew Wild a écrit :
> On 8 August 2018 at 16:17, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at mozilla.com> wrote:
> > On 8/8/18 3:17 AM, Philipp Hörist wrote:
> > > I always thought the most recent refers to the publish date/time of the
> > > item, hence if i override a item it also changes the updated time/date
> > > and it becomes the most recent
> >
> > That seems reasonable. So it's really "last modified item". I'm curious
> > what Ralph thinks.
>
> Me too.
>
> I personally have always shared Philipp's interpretation. A publish of
> an item is a publish, whether another item already existed with that
> id or not.

So it's a https://xkcd.com/1172/ case for me.
Having a "social network" implementation using Pubsub this behavior is going against the current flow that I'm using in Movim.
If you edit an article on a social network or a blog it shouldn't move back to the top of your feed. It is also, afaik, how ejabberd is
handling it.

In both cases, does the disco#items (https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#entity-discoveritems) and query items (
https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#subscriber-retrieve-returnsome) IDs order should be consistent then? If it's the case then
using RSM on disco#items should be enough to "refresh" what the client missed on a node (give me all the items published after the ID
of the last updated item that I have in my cache) without actually having to compare the payloads.

I'm also wondering if this affects https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0395.html.

Regards,

Timothée