[Standards] XEP-0198: Stream should be closed when 'h' value is to high

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Wed Feb 7 08:20:50 UTC 2018

* Guus der Kinderen <guus.der.kinderen at gmail.com> [2018-02-07 08:44]:
> I propose that the XEP is updated with an instruction to, upon detection of
> an invalid acknowledgement, terminate the stream with stream error.

+1

The rationale behind current behavior is to be permissive in what we
accept, but the result is that subtle errors in 0198 implementations
(like mis-counting stanzas and non-stanzas) lead to dropped and/or
duplicated messages. After some years of experience I agree that it
would be better to kill the connection immediately, with a proper error
message, to make developers more aware.

Georg