[Standards] XEP-0198: Stream should be closed when 'h' value is to high

Florian Schmaus flo at geekplace.eu
Wed Feb 7 09:50:27 UTC 2018

On 07.02.2018 08:40, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> I propose that the XEP is updated with an instruction to, upon detection
> of an invalid acknowledgement, terminate the stream with stream error.

+1

If the remote endpoint sends you contradicting (e.g., ack'ing more
stanzas that you assume to have sent) or illegal (e.g., putting
alphabetical characters into an value which is specified to be an
integer), then it is usually best to fail hard by closing the stream. In
my experience, not doing so will likely cause enormous pain in the long
run. (Of course, there may be exceptions from this, but this is none).

- Florian