[Standards] Adding logo to MUC and PubSub node

W. Martin Borgert debacle at debian.org
Thu Feb 8 15:59:47 UTC 2018

Quoting Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name>:
> On Donnerstag, 8. Februar 2018 14:34:12 CET W. Martin Borgert wrote:
>> I had another idea before coming up with the configuration variable,
>> but I find it very ugly, but maybe others might find some beauty
>> (or pragmatism) in it:
>>
>> A PubSub node could have a "magic" node
>
> We need to get this terminology straight. When you say "PubSub node", do you
> in fact mean a pubsub node (i.e. a specific @node value on a specific pubsub
> service with JID X) or a PubSub service with JID X?

I hope to get the terminology right this time:
A PubSub node could have a "magic" item.
A PubSub service could have a "magic" node.
Does this make sense?

For e.g. Movim both a logo for service and for a node seems to be
useful.

> I think specifying avatars for each PubSub *node* could be tricky. For
> services (which I assume you meant) see below.

If there were a "magic" item on a node, it never must be removed
automatically, but only on user request, right?

> The "magic id" (again, only for PubSub services, not for individual nodes) is
> obvious, I’d simply use the same the XEP-0084 uses. That could even work
> magically with client code.

Nice!