[Standards] Council Agenda 2018-02-14

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Feb 14 16:01:31 UTC 2018

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018, at 06:44, Holger Weiß wrote:
> A MAM client might want to purge offline messages to avoid duplicates.

I'm sure we'll discuss this is the council meeting, but to my knowledge this is the only part of the spec that anything implements now (please correct me if there is significant adoption of the other parts of the spec).

This means we have a whole spec that looks like it's the recommended way to do history even though no one actually uses it just so that clients can use one small part of it to clear MUC history. Deprecating does not mean that clients will stop doing that, and may encourage us to find a better way to do this (if one is necessary).

FWIW, this also might be a good footnote in the compliance suites for next year if someone takes those up. It's worth mentioning that MAM doesn't provide a way to do this.

—Sam