[Standards] undefined state in XEP-0050

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Feb 22 10:24:54 UTC 2018

On Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2018 10:29:18 CET Kevin Smith wrote:
> FWIW, I think this isn’t what the standard already says, although may be
> sensible.

Hmm… I think you are right there. "execute" is equivalent to whatever the
Responder says in the "execute" attribute on <actions/>. Which unfortunately
does *not* have a default value. The interpretation of being equivalent to
"next" is only done in a "typical interpretation" of a requester:

> The action "execute" is always allowed, and is equivalent to the action
> "next".

(this is the passage which is to be changed) and later on:

> If the <actions/> possesses the "execute" attribute, that value is the
> default button or option. If the <actions/> does not possess the "execute"
> attribute, there is no default button or option.

Also, there is (for empty/no <actions/>):

> The action "execute" is equivalent to the action "complete".

So given all that, I wonder whether the proposed wording should be adapted to
reflect that the value of the "execute" attribute should always take
precedence over the interpretation of what "execute" means?

kind regards,
Jonas