[Standards] [XEP-0234] Jingle File Transfer, Last Call and File Sharing

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Sun Feb 25 20:19:16 UTC 2018

> 2) for file sharing, I need more metadata, for instance the path needed to
> identify the file gotten from XEP-0329 : I don't want to always calculate
> hashes of all files I'm sharing to avoid consuming too much resources, and
> the name alone may not identify uniquely the file.
> How can I transmit them? Should I use a separate namespace (that would make
> sense), or would it possible to add this specific metadata to XEP-0234?

The requestor should ask for the full path to the file, not the bare filename, so as long as you don't have two files with the same name in the same directory, there shouldn't be a conflict. Treat the node name as an opaque identifier for the file, so a request for a bare filename simply won't match any of the shared files (except in the case where the file is shared without any containing directory, but this should still be the only file with that name.)

> 3) for the same reason, I would like to optionnally give an unique ID with
> my files, this way I can identify them without calculating hash. Would it be
> possible to have an uuid metadata?

'path/filename' should be a unique identifier, otherwise how do you know which they are requesting? Also, if you can give all files a unique ID, that unique ID could just as easily be the hash value itself.

> 4) if there are several file conresponding to a file request (e.g. only name
> is given), what should we do ? Return the first one or send a "conflict"
> stanza error?

As above; this shouldn't happen - you should not offer to share two files with the same path+filename.

The XEP hints at the possibility of requesting a file by name only (sans path), but only when this will be unique; I suggest the request MUST include the path to avoid any confusion.