[Standards] [XEP-0234] Jingle File Transfer, Last Call and File Sharing

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Mon Feb 26 14:44:41 UTC 2018

I see your point now - I was looking at XEP-0329 (File Information Sharing), where the shared files are requested using a full path; while your issue is that XEP-0234 (Jingle File Transfer) only wants a single file name (without path).

So, presumably, the files are advertised via 0329 (with paths), then when a requester decides which file they want, they ask (with path) for its info - the info includes filename (no path) & hash, which can then be used to initiate the 0234 transfer (?)

If you have two files with the same filename and hash, but in different paths, does it actualy matter which one you send (they're essentially identical) ...or the date stamp chould be included as well (at which point, maybe a UUID is less work.)

XEP-0358 (Publishing Available Jingle Sessions) could provide a more appropriate mechanism (with IDs!), though it might be wasteful for advertising large numbers of files. Not that it couldn't be extended..