[Standards] [XEP-0234] Jingle File Transfer, Last Call and File Sharing

Ruslan N. Marchenko me at ruff.mobi
Tue Feb 27 17:33:02 UTC 2018

Am Montag, den 26.02.2018, 19:21 -0700 schrieb Peter Saint-Andre:

> The idea there was to allow multiple files to be sent in a session;
> you
> wouldn't close the session if you want to send more files, so you
> would
> send the <received/> element defined in §8.1 instead. IMHO a good
> solution would be to always ("MUST") send <received/> upon receipt of
> the complete file, and to always ("MUST") terminate the session with
> <success/> after sending the last file. Yes, this means you'd send
> both
> <received/> and <success/> in a one-file session, but that doesn't
> seem
> horrible and at least all the state transitions are explicitly
> defined.

That actually touches a point which is nagging me each time I'm looking
into implementation. Who is responsible for closing the session?

According to this [1] it is recommended that receiving party closes the
session as soon as it receives complete file.
But that doesn't leave the space for adding files into the session, as
it relies on concurrency - eg whether receiving party receives (or
actually processes) complete transfer sooner than 'content-add' stanza.

[1] https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0234.html#sect-idm139904544184976