[Standards] Council Minutes 2018-02-14

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Wed Feb 28 10:49:34 UTC 2018

On 14 Feb 2018, at 16:55, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> 3) Deprecate XEP-0071 XHTML-IM -
> http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2018-02-14/#16:03:14
>
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0071.html
>
> Dave noted this was the very specific case of embedding an XHTML
> subset into IM messages, and was not deprecating or otherwise
> expressing any opinion on other cases of embedding XHTML into XMPP
> traffic.
>
> All present +1

+1

> 4) Deprecate XEP-0013 Flexible Offline Message Retrieval -
> http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2018-02-14/#16:05:12
>
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0013.html
>
> There was a significant debate about this, and the wider question of
> how and when to deprecate XEPs. Georg and Dave both noted that this
> XEP appears to be an actively used mechanism for purging or
> suppressing offline messages, and Daniel noted that he also used it.
> Sam noted that much of the XEP was not used, however, and a more
> useful method should be created. There was a general discussion over
> whether, in the absence of such a replacement method, Council should
> deprecate the XEP. Sam argued that it would sent a clear signal that
> such a protocol were needed, but Dave and Georg both argued that in
> this instance, our best recommendation was indeed to implement that
> portion of XEP-0013. Daniel noted this, too, has problems.
>
> [ I have tried to write this neutrally but probably failed - but as an
> addendum, if someone wants to write a replacement that'd be most
> welcome - I think everyone present agreed that the XEP was old and
> crusty and a MAM-aware replacement needs to be done ]
>
> Daniel: ±0
> Sam: +1
> Georg and Dave: -1

I’m +0 here. We would discourage implementation of any part of 13 other than the clearing stuff, for which this is probably not the ideal solution either. But we don’t have another mechanism for doing the clearing at the moment.
The simplest thing would probably be to obsolete 13, extract that one paragraph into a new XEP that goes straight to Draft (with the same namespaces) and be happy.

> 5) Deprecate XEP-0137 Publishing Stream Initiation Requests -
> http://logs.xmpp.org/council/2018-02-14/#16:12:15
>
> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0137.html
>
> Dave noted that there was no modern replacement here, either, but
> being based on SI it was clearly deprecated in principle. Florian
> Schmaus, from the floor, noted XEP-0358 does actually replace this
> functionality.
>
> All present +1

+1

/K