[Standards] Detecting PEP support

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jul 9 13:50:06 UTC 2018

On 9 July 2018 at 13:30, Tedd Sterr <teddsterr at outlook.com> wrote:

> One can certainly send a disco#info to server on which you don't have an
> account, and the response is as expected, but that still requires an
> account on _a_ server - so the reply can be directed to you.

This is probably the best bet. But note that it needs to be a real
(non-anonymous) account on another server...

a) If it's an Anonymous account on the same server, the server might not
offer PEP to anonymous users.

b) Even if it's on another server, servers can actually check for anonymous
users and alter their behaviour (Openfire does this sometimes).

> For pre-registration, I think support would have to be listed as a Stream
> Feature.

Right, we don't have a stream feature for this; but we do have a XEP-0115
stream feature - but without an account to expand that, it'd be tricky.

> That said, you could just try it -- connect to a server and send a
> disco#info without any 'from' attribute; but I would expect an error
> response.

If you don't get an error response from this (actually a stream error of
not-authorised I think), it's a bug.