[Standards] XEP-0045: How to signal tombstones for destroyed rooms?

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Wed Jul 11 02:02:23 UTC 2018

Hello list,

I have implemented tombstones for destroyed MUC rooms. My reading of the
sacred texts did not give me enlightenment as how to inform someone
who's attempting to enter the remains of such a place. I've so far opted
to return an <presence type=unavailable> with the same <destroyed> child
that was in the inital announcement of the rooms destruction.

Of the clients I’ve tested so far, only Gajim seems to understand this.
Swift says something unspecific about failure to enter the room, while
Pidgin and poezio say nothing.

So basically, this is the reply one gets to a MUC join:

``` xml
<presence type="unavailable" id="" to="me at localhost/r" from="a at gc.localhost/n">
  <x xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/muc#user">
    <item affiliation="none" role="none"/>
    <destroy>You see only a crater.</destroy>
  </x>
</presence>

```

Does this make sense?