[Standards] File sharing states for XEP-0085: Chat State Notifications

Linus Jahn lnj at kaidan.im
Tue Jul 17 14:07:28 UTC 2018

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018 15:36:06 +0200, Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:
> Yes. Not tying this to <composing/> seems like a good idea for
> flexibility. My suggestion would be to put your new elements next to
> the existing XEP-0085 elements, not as children of them. E.g.:
>
> <message>
>   <composing xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/chatstates'/>
>   <uploading
>     type='image'
>     progress='0.4'/>
> </message>

Makes sense. +1

> @progress would be optional and give the upload progress from 0 to 1.
> @type would indicate what’s being uploaded (although I’m not 100%
> sure if that makes sense to have). The valid values for @type should
> be enumerated; it might make sense to allow use of MIME types here.

I was thinking about just using an integer from 0-99 for the progress.

> > Apart from that, there should be states for uploading media files
> > and states for the creation of the media files (user is recording
> > audio/video or taking a picture).
>
> I’m not sure what the use-case for this would be in general.

As Paul wrote Telegram and I think even Whatsapp use this to display
something as "recording a voice message" or "recording a video".
Additionally I would add a state for "taking a photo", when the user
takes a photo via. the client (mobile clients often have the
possibility to "take a photo").

Regards,
Linus