[Standards] Proposed XMPP Extension: File Sharing Notifications

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Wed Jul 18 16:08:03 UTC 2018

On Mittwoch, 18. Juli 2018 17:34:08 CEST Jonas Wielicki wrote:

> Title: File Sharing Notifications
> Abstract:
> This specification provides a notification protocol for information
> about ongoing file uploads and media creation by the user.

> The Council will decide in the next two weeks whether to accept this
> proposal as an official XEP.

I like the intent of this XEP. I think it can be improved by loosening the
coupling between XEP-0085 and this one.

I suggest to focus on the new functionality provided by this XEP in the Use
Cases section and add another (sub-)section which describes *suggested*
XEP-0085 states which MAY be sent alongside of the states described by this
XEP. This helps untangle the reading a bit and having the "compatibility" part
in a single place makes it easier to reason about (side-)effects of this.

Also, RECOMMENDED is equivalent to SHOULD, OPTIONAL is equivalent to MAY. The
statement

> However, adding chat states is RECOMMENDED, but OPTIONAL.

is thus contradictory.

kind regards,
Jonas