[Standards] MIX Addressing

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Fri Jun 1 08:36:50 UTC 2018

On Freitag, 1. Juni 2018 09:21:45 CEST Kevin Smith wrote:
> [...]
> >> user is *not* nick, so this doesn’t fall into the issues of MUC
> >> stability,
> >> and it allows encoding resources, so doesn’t fall into the MUC issues of
> >> routing).
> >>
> >> Then there are no more proxy JIDs, everything is hanging off
> >> channel at domain, much like people are familiar with from MUC but without
> >> (as far as I can see at the moment) those issues of conflating nick with
> >> both user and client identity.
> >>
> >> I think if we want routability we need to choose one of these two things:
> >>
> >> 1) Stick with proxy JIDs and user%channel at domain[/resource] (or similar),
> >> with the resource missed off for bare-JID traffic, where
> >> ‘user%channel at domain’ as the proxy JID is the user’s identifier used
> >> everywhere. 2) Drop proxy JIDs, use channel at domain/user[/resource] and
> >> then
> >> ‘user’ is just a string identifier for the user, of whatever format (as
> >> long as it doesn’t contain ‘/‘).
> >>
> >> What are people’s thoughts here?Are there any advantages of (1) over (2),
> >> or vice versa?
> >
> > I very much prefer the semantics of (1). The reason is that about
> > everywhere (except MUC) you can assume that equal bare JID implies equal
> > identity.
> Ah, but it’s more complicated than that.
>
> In most of XMPP you have the concept that identity (of the sender) = routing
> (of a reply) = context (e.g. the chat window in your client, or the entity
> you need queries for in your MAM archive). If you receive a normal 1:1 chat
> message, the from on the stanza (less the resource) shows you the identity
> of the sender (it’s just them), the routing to reply to them (it’s just
> them) and the context of the messages (the chat with that person). With MUC
> or MIX you now have this changed.
>
> For MUC currently:
> Identity of the sender: full JID (although this is broken, as we know, by
> the conflating of identity/nick etc. in MUC) Routing of a reply (type=gc):
> bare JID
> Routing of a reply (type=chat, sent through channel): full JID
> Context (type=gc): bare JID
> Context (type=chat, sent through the channel): full JID
>
> With option 1 (encode channel and user into node):
> Identity of the sender: bare JID
> Routing a reply (type=gc): strip the user out of the localpart and then it’s
> the remaining bare JID
> Routing a reply (type=chat, sent through channel): bare JID
> Context (type=gc): strip the user out of the localpart and then it’s the
> remaining bare JID
> Context (type=chat, sent through the channel): bare JID
>
> With option 2 (encode user and resource into resource):
> Identity of the sender: full JID
> Routing a reply (type=gc): bare JID
> Routing a reply (type=chat, sent through channel): full JID
> Context (type=gc): bare JID
> Context (type=chat, sent through the channel): full JID

This isn’t entirely correct, is it? Routing a 1:1 reply would need to route to
the stripped full JID (i.e. only /user suffix, not /user/resource), because we
don’t want to do resource locking anymore. Likewise for identity (which is
relevant for things like avatars). Eliding the stripping makes this look much
more attractive than it is ;-).

(Or are you saying (I would’ve missed that somehow) that messages would be
coming from the pseudo-bare full JID (channel at service/user instead of
channel at service/user/resource)? That won’t work with presence, which carries
relevant information for caches (avatars, again), so it’s only partly
helpful.)

> So, yes, option 1 gives you that the identity of the sender is the bare JID,
> and this is desirable. It also loses the idea that the context of the
> messages for channel messages is the bare JID and this makes client
> architecture harder and (possibly more importantly, and I hadn’t really
> thought about this enough before) breaks querying for messages in a channel
> in personal MAM. Your client comes online, you want to show unread messages
> so you query your archive for the last messages in the room since the ID
> and … get nothing.

To be fair (and this is another rabbit hole, I know), if I wasn’t running a
sync-all model, I would probably be querying the MIX anyways, because this is
safe against s2s issues.

> The cleanest option in terms of keeping identity, routing and context
> straight might actually be that messages from the channel (type=gc),
> presence, etc. all come from option 2, while if you send PMs they come from
> option 1. That way replying is always ‘right’, you can do a mapping between
> the two (but don’t need to), and you don’t have the unpleasant issue that
> archive queries get screwey because you’re overloading what the
> context/routing is based on message type.

Uh, having two different JIDs for the same identity in a MIX sounds worse. I’d
prefer Option 2 over that, actually.

kind regards,
Jonas