[Standards] MIX Addressing

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Fri Jun 1 17:11:39 UTC 2018

[Steve Kille]

If we are going to use two variant,  I think that the approach would be to have the key thing standardized as the "stable-participant-id" which is the unique id for each channel participant.

I think that for messages it is important that the from bare JID is the channel.   This is needed to make MAM work usefully.   When a client needs to synchronize messages, it asks for messages from the channel.   Therefore,  I think that variant 2 is key for messages.     So JIDs of the form  channel at domain/stable-participant-id  .  Because of MAM,  I think that using variant 1 for messages would be a mistake.   I note the currently MIX uses just channel at domain.

For presence, you need a resource.   You could use variant 2, and construct channel at domain/stable-participant-id/resource   for the form.  I could live with this.

I think that variant 1 is preferable.   So stable-participant-id#channel at domain/resource .  The reason is that this makes the bare JID reflect the sender to which the presence message relates.   I think that it is cleaner for presence to have the bare JID reflect the sender rather than the channel.

Steve