[Standards] Requirements for "Jid Hidden" Channels

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Sat Jun 2 16:36:53 UTC 2018

It is clear that much of the complexity around JID encoding that is being
postulated as necessary, ties back to requirements to support participant
communication through  JID Hidden channels.

This note is to step back from the JID discussion, and consider JID Hidden
channel requirements.

I'm writing out a list of requirements here, which I think when agreed,
could be usefully used as part of the introductory material to MIX-ANON.

With JID Visible channels,  real JIDs are shared and participants can use
this to communicate directly.

When looking at MIX requirements, quite a few argued that we should not have
JID Hidden.  A lot of other chat systems (e.g., Facebook) do not have an
equivalent of JID Hidden.   I think that many channels will be JID Visible.

It was agreed clearly that we need JID Hidden, primarily to prevent JID
Harvesting.   This is going to be useful for public and semi-public
channels.

REQUIREMENTS:

1.  Participants can see which other participants have one or more online
clients.

2.   Online participants can be displayed with a Nick.

3.   Participants MUST be able to see if another participant changes Nick.

4.    Participants can sent messages to other participants through the
channel if channel policy allows this.

5.    A participant can share real JID with another participant and request
real JID.   Can't do this currently, but it seems sensible to allow a pair
of willing participants to shift from restricted communication through the
channel to direct communication.

POSSIBLE REQUIREMENTS:

6.   Participants can share presence status additional to online/offline.
I am wondering if, in an environment where JIDs are being hidden, if it
makes sense to share other presence stuff with  the channel.   My sense is
that for a public MUC, it might make sense to restrict.   I would vote to
make this a non-requirement.

7.   Where a participant has multiple clients, other participants can see
independent status of these clients.   I think that this is not appropriate
for JID Hidden channels.  If you are not sharing your JID, it feels wrong to
be sharing how many clients you have.

NON REQUIREMENTS

8. vCard.   If you are hiding your JID,  it seems wrong to allow retrieval
of generic information about you.   I think that getting vCard information
about other participants should be explicitly excluded.

9.  Client Disco.   I think that allowing clients to use IQ disco of JID
Hidden participants is wrong.  If you feel that JID should be hidden, it
does not make sense to

I appreciate that this has switched topics.   I think that getting some
agreements here, would help to sort the JID discussion.

Can we keep this thread on "JID Hidden" and see if we can agree
requirements?

Steve