[Standards] Requirements for "Jid Hidden" Channels

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sat Jun 2 17:17:01 UTC 2018

On Sat, Jun 2, 2018, at 11:36, Steve Kille wrote:
> It was agreed clearly that we need JID Hidden, primarily to prevent JID
> Harvesting.   This is going to be useful for public and semi-public
> channels.

I've mostly been avoiding the MIX discussion because in its current form I belive that it is too complex to ever gain wide adoption and as far as I can tell this is the root cause of that.
For the level of complexity they introduce I don't think JID hidden channels are worth it.
We can always explore other mechanisms later, and maybe come up with a more general anonymity protocol that works for direct communication and group chats (eg. by making burner JIDs or some alternative work for the MIX use case) and doesn't require making MIX unnecessarily complicated.

—Sam