[Standards] Another proposal - Handling JIDs for MIX-CORE, MIX-PRESENCE and MIX-PAM

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Sat Jun 2 23:33:12 UTC 2018

Sam's message made me realize that none of the variant 1/2/3/4 stuff is
needed for MIX-CORE.    There are some things that might be needed in
MIX-ANON, but let's worry about these in the MIX-ANON spec and keep them out
of MIX-CORE.

In MIX-CORE, messages/presence go to a channel or are distributed by a
channel.  There is no participant to participant (PM style) communications.

I suggest.

1.  Messages come from the channel  (channel at domain).   This is what is
happening as the channel is distributing messages.  Inside each message you
have a mandatory sender information: (Nick and Bare JID).   There would be
an elegance to putting this information into the JID, but I do not think it
is practical and it does not gain you anything.

2.  Presence come from the channel  (channel at domain).   This reflects that
the channel is distributing presence.  Inside each presence stanza you have
a mandatory sender information: (Nick and Full JID).

That is it.   Very simple.   No variant JID addressing.  There are some
issues for MIX-ANON, but lets worry about these in MIX-ANON, and not make
the core more complex than it needs to be.

Steve