[Standards] Per Channel Nicks vs Global Nicks

Kevin Smith kevin.smith at isode.com
Mon Jun 4 08:28:07 UTC 2018

On 3 Jun 2018, at 17:13, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com> wrote:

> Daniel,

I think that’s usually true, yes. There are clearly cases, like the Discord model, where you want a different nick in different (sets of) channel(s), but usually on XMPP I’m Kev and want to remain Kev. I think that’s straightforwardly achieved by my client just setting me Kev in any room or channel I join based on my local preference.

> There is no global registry, where users can register Nicks.   I won't debate if this is good or bad.   However,  I think it means that channels (or MUC rooms) need to get users to pick a Nick.    I think it would be helpful for an XMPP client to make it easy to choose the same Nick for all channels.
>
> We also see environments where service operators want to enforce consistent and sensible Nicks.

The ability for a channel to set the nick (override the nick) for a user based on local policy might not be core, but I think knowing that clients will react sensibly to that override is core, and so both end up needing to be in -core.

> MIX has a concept of Nick Registration (now in MIX-MISC)  which provides a framework for users to have a single Nick across channels in a single domain.    This is clearly not a global Nick, but can help deployments where only one or a small number of MIX domains are used.

I think that helps with the “don’t let someone else steal my nick” case (which is a definite case), but for the “just want to be Kev everywhere” case where Kev isn’t a popular name, probably just setting from the client automatically is straightforward.

/K