[Standards] IQ Support in MIX-CORE

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Mon Jun 4 10:36:02 UTC 2018

I had a discussion with my co-author about IQ support in MIX-CORE.

I believe that we need to provide support in MIX-CORE for participants to
send IQs through the channel to other MIX participants.     This is not
currently made explicit/clear and I believe that we need to make a change.

The reason that this is needed, even with JIDs fully visible, is that many
clients will block IQs from unknown clients.   If the IQ comes through the
channel, then the client may apply different rules.

I am proposing to add a section to MIX-CORE that defines this support, as
this seems important for basic operation.

I'd like to make sure that there is consensus  on this change.  Please shout
clearly if you think this should not be in MIX-CORE.

There are some addressing implications from this, which I'll set out in next
message.  I'm keeping separate, as I suspect that addressing discussion is
more likely.

Steve