[Standards] Should we move Nicks out of MIX-CORE?

Steve Kille steve.kille at isode.com
Mon Jun 4 18:52:47 UTC 2018

From: Standards <standards-bounces at xmpp.org> On Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: 04 June 2018 19:11
To: XMPP Standards <standards at xmpp.org>
Subject: Re: [Standards] Should we move Nicks out of MIX-CORE?

On 4 June 2018 at 07:53, Steve Kille <steve.kille at isode.com <mailto:steve.kille at isode.com> > wrote:

This can be a client choice.   The client could show JID, or MIX provided Nick, or a user-assigned Nick for the participant.   MIX is not mandating what gets shown.

I actually think it should have an opinion on what the client shows, at ;least when MIX is being used for "chatrooms".

Otherwise there's a risk that different clients end up having such radically different user interfaces that interoperability is hampered at the user level.

I have vague recollections of this being a problem in other cases - didn't Georg do some work on common terminology and suchlike?

Dave.

[Steve Kille]

Having MIX mandate what is shown or not show in a client UI is drifting into very dangerous territory.

Steve