[Standards] Should we move Nicks out of MIX-CORE?

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Mon Jun 4 19:06:16 UTC 2018

Nicknames are what users use to refer to each other. If, in a channel, I
say, "Steve, that's a terrible idea!", then I'm referring to the user whose
nickname is Steve in the channel.

If we say clients should name channel occupants by any name they like, this
won't work. We'll then have to handle things by references - a better idea,
certainly, and one that solves the question of who I'm talking to.

But then in the text, you'd still see what name I use to refer to you as...

Now, as it happens, you're simply Steve Kille in my roster - hooray for
posting on good terms, eh? - but what if I'd got a silly name for you? Or
misspelled your name? Autocorrect really hates it, after all.

These aren't technical interoperability, but they do harm to user
experience and might even be a privacy leak.