[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-06-06

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Sat Jun 9 03:09:50 UTC 2018

On Fri, Jun 8, 2018, at 19:52, Tedd Sterr wrote:
> 4a) XEP-0045: Add a feature for the voice request flow #653 -
> https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/653

Hi all,

After thinking about his one a bit more I've changed my mind (I said I probably wouldn't block it during the meeting) and  have decided to cast a -1 vote.

Adding such a feature this late in the game doesn't really provide any benfit because it can only be used to determine that a MUC supports voice requests, but can't be used to determine that it doesn't (since many legacy systems wouldn't implement it). Unfortunately, without knowing the history of MUC this isn't obvious and new implementers would be forgiven for assuming that it is a feature they can rely upon.

Best,
Sam