[Standards] Network IO best practices

Daniel Corbe dcorbe at gmail.com
Sun Jun 10 05:09:59 UTC 2018

Hi,

First time implementor of anything XMPP-related, much less outside of the
use of a library for dealing with XMPP.

The chosen language here is Go and the few XMPP libraries that exist in our
world are hilariously incomplete.   So I’m stuck implementing a library for
my application from scratch.

So here goes my question.

I’m watching my XMPP client talk to a server, and there doesn’t seem to be
any delineation between stanzas.   It’s just a byte stream of XML.   No CR,
CRLF or LF to indicate that one side of the conversation is finished
sending messages.

How do people typically deal with this in other languages?

Because it would seem to me as if one would need to read the entire stream
one byte at a time and wait for valid input before passing the message off
to a parser.   IE, I’m looking for that final closing > before I can reply.

Is there a better way to go about it that isn’t going to incur a massive
performance penalty?