[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-06-20

Tedd Sterr teddsterr at outlook.com
Sat Jun 23 11:28:54 UTC 2018

Contrary to vicious rumours floating around, I have no interest in supplanting Dave's position as Chair.
With only a few hours remaining and no agenda forthcoming, I thought a meeting with some agenda would be better than with none - and the agenda is largely straightforward.

Why was "Deprecate XEP-0229" there? That's entirely my 'fault.'
There was a vote on advancing Stream Compression in April [1], and as result of that not passing there was the suggestion of adding 0318 to the next agenda.
The next agenda [2] was, coincidentally, my previous attempt to oust Dave written by myself and so I added it. However, it was subsequently skipped in the meeting for lack of time (XEP-0050 took almost the whole meeting) [3], but was never revisited.
So, with an otherwise bare agenda and nothing else obvious to add, I surreptitiously added it again. ...and I would've gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

[1] https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2018-April/034768.html
[2] https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2018-April/034789.html
[3] https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2018-April/034790.html

On Stream Compression: as TLS is pretty much a requirement now and it already does compression (unless explicitly disabled), wouldn't that make Stream Compression surplus to requirements at this point?