[Standards] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-06-20

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Wed Jun 27 07:34:02 UTC 2018

Hi,

after pushing on standard@ on this point because I had not feedback, I'll
try to explain better why it's important to have expiration date.

For now, when we use HTTP Upload, we blindly upload a file on a server,
with no clue for the time of retention, how to delete it, or even to list
already uploaded files.

Imagine we uploaded an important file by accident (but didn't share the
link), no way to do anything except contacting the admin (if they put their
contact anywhere).

If file is uploaded for one shot (just sharing a picture in a MUC), I would
like to know how long the server will keep it.

Also HTTP upload can be used for long term : I use it with blogging and I
wish my files to stay there for ever except if I explicitly ask them to be
removed. I can do it on my server because I know how it is set up, but I
would like to have this expiration date available for any server.
I know it is not the use case HTTP Upload was initialy planned for, but
still it's something people can and will do.

There is also the GDPR context in Europe, I think it's a minimum to know
for how long a file is kept.

So I would like to see at minimum a mandatory expiration date returned by
servers, in the same way as size limit can be returned.

It would be even better to be able to list existing files and delete them
on request, but this can be done in a separated XEP.

Thanks
Goffi