[Standards] What is the size limit of node and item ids in XEP-0060: Publish-Subscribe?

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Mar 1 08:07:15 UTC 2018

On Donnerstag, 1. März 2018 08:52:29 CET Florian Schmaus wrote:
> On 01.03.2018 01:17, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> > On 2/28/18 3:18 PM, Timothée Jaussoin wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I came across a database limitation while implementing Pubsub in Movim.
> >>
> >> I'd like to know if we have a limitation for the size of the node and
> >> items ids in Pubsub (like we have for the JIDs). Also do we have some
> >> specific forbid characters, basically what is the format of such
> >> attributes? If noting is already specificed I think that it would be
> >> wise to update the 0060 to do so.>
> > My inclination is to specify a length of 1023 octets
>
> Which would break applications and protocols using JIDs as node or item
> identifier. This includes for example MIX. If we want to allow this, we
> need at least (3x1023)+2 octets, and then I would probably go for 4096
> octets.

This is bikeshedding territory. But given that databases have limits on the
size of keys, using as many as needed and as few as possible octets (the 3071
you quoted) is probably sensible.

Do those protocols use bare or full JIDs? If they only use bare and if we
agree that full JIDs (due to their transience) do not make sense, the limit
could conceivably be as low as 2047, which is probably comfortable for
databases to handle.

kind regards,
Jonas