[Standards] xep-0313 missing features

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 15:36:35 UTC 2018

Hi Lazar,

On 3 Mar 2018 22:54, "Lazar Otasevic" <redhotbits at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi, I think I miss some features here:
>
> 1. fetching messages by giving a set of ids, also similar like xep-013
>
> Fetching message by id(s) is needed  for example when i have a custom
push notification with a given message id(s) and client needs to get that
one message asap and show it in the chat.

Why not just do a normal query? It feels wrong of a chat UI to show a
message in a chat and later 'back-fill' the conversation. A message may
easily be taken out of context this way.

> 2. fetching message ids instead of entire messages, similar like "message
headers" in xep-013

I don't see why this is helpful. Why would a client want the stanza
metadata but not the stanza?

> Fetching just message ids is harder to explain why its needed, but I
think its a must have if one wants to make an efficient and reliable local
message archive synced with server archive, and to make it as separate
module independent from the rest of the client. Basically by fetching
message ids we try to detect "holes" in our local archive and then we fill
that holes by doing step 1. I think this is a standard way of doing the
sync algorithm, and its mind boggling why its not here in MAM already.

Similarly I don't see what advantage this brings. Hole detection is already
possible today with the current protocol, with no overhead of additionally
fetching IDs and doing an inefficient list comparison.

I really want to keep the XEP as simple as we can, and right now I don't
see enough justification for adding these features.

Regards,
Matthew