[Standards] XEP-0390: use of separators which are valid (but discouraged) in XML 1.1 (as opposed to 1.0)

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Mon Mar 5 08:04:06 UTC 2018

Dear list,

Florian discovered that the ASCII separators we use, while invalid in XML 1.0
(upon which RFC 6120 bases), are only discouraged in XML 1.1.

I wonder whether we should be concerned about this. While the XML parsers I
tested back then *did* reject those ASCII characters, I wonder whether we can
rely on that.

Another solution would be to use some kind of length field instead of
separators. Or use unary NUL separators (though I haven’t checked whether
those are valid in XML 1.1).

Opinions?

kind regards,
Jonas