[Standards] 0174 Serverless Messaging: Discovering Capabilities

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Wed Mar 7 16:48:41 UTC 2018

> Are people still using this technology? In my experience, it was a fun
> experiment in ~2006 but didn't work well in practice: too chatty over
> the network, presence never worked correctly, you'd send a message to
> someone and it turns out they weren't available, etc.

I was considering implementing it also as a fun experiment.

Too chatty? It looks less chatty than normal XMPP (no presence, less stream negotiation), where's the issue?
And maybe the presence issue was only an implementation error?

If it was a fun experiment, why is XEP-0174 in status Final instead of Experimental then?

- Christian