[Standards] OBSOLETED: XEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Wed Mar 7 16:55:24 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 7, 2018, at 10:13, Kozlov Konstantin wrote:
> Yes, this XEP has its disadvantages, but almos all of modern clients do
> implement it and there is no XEP right now, which can substitute it.

TL;DR — almost all of modern clients that implement it implement it in an insecure manner (which is not the XEPs fault, but it is apparently hard for developers to implement it correctly, especially in web clients in my experience).

For most clients, https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0393.html serves as a good enough replacement (especially when paired with https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0066.html or https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0385.html for media).
For clients where that is not good enough they won't drop XHTML-IM support over night and we can have a discussion about how to support them if and when they come forward.

—Sam