[Standards] 0174 Serverless Messaging: Discovering Capabilities

W. Martin Borgert debacle at debian.org
Wed Mar 7 18:56:55 UTC 2018

Quoting Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im>:
> Well, it worked OK at small conferences when universal connectivity
> wasn't so common in the pre-smartphone days (folks had a lot of fun
> using it in Adium and iChat back then), but I haven't seen it used since
> 2010 or so.
>
> It went to Draft and Final quickly (perhaps we were more efficient about
> moving things forward back then), but it doesn't seem relevant anymore.

I didn't use this feature for some years, but I can imagine, that
it might be a relevant niche. Having a protocol that can survive
certain desasters like "no mobile internet available" still sounds
interesting and worthwhile to me. Might even be interesting in the
field of humanitarian aid or when privacy is more relevant.

Cheers