[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0048: Bookmarks

Kim Alvefur zash at zash.se
Thu Mar 8 00:56:25 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 07, 2018 at 07:17:24PM -0000, Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0048 before
> presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.
>

> During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:
>
> 1. What software has XEP-0048 implemented?

Just about every client, library and server (indirectly, via either
storage mechanism) I've ever seen.

I've myself relied on it in plugins[^1], eg some that provide default
bookmarks to bootstrap new users. Also for having a bot remember which
rooms it should be in[^2].

[^1]: <https://modules.prosody.im/mod_default_bookmarks.html>

[^2]: <https://code.zash.se/riddim/file/tip/plugins/bookmarks.lua>

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0048? If so, please describe the problems and, if
> possible, suggested solutions.

Confusion about the storage method, since PEP / XEP-0223 is recommended
but Private XML is commonly used in the wild.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0048 clear and unambiguous?

The text and tables describing the formats are concise and get the idea
across.

The schema does not appear to match the text, however.

> Are more examples needed?

Always! :)

> Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate? Have
> developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
> suggestions you have for improving the text.

> > If an element lacks a 'name' attribute, the client SHOULD generate
> > an appropriate subsitution based on other available data.

Reading that, it's not obvious to me whether conformance language is
needed here.

<password> is NOT RECOMMENDED, but MAY, but SHOULD NOT.

Followed by "MUST enable users [...]" which, like the point about 'name'
above, strikes me as weird.

> If you have any comments about advancing XEP-0048 from Draft to Final,
> please provide them by the close of business on 2018-03-21. After the
> Call for Experience, this XEP might undergo revisions to address
> feedback received, after which it will be presented to the XMPP
> Council for voting to a status of Final.

N/A