[Standards] [Council] XMPP Council Minutes 2018-03-07

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Mar 8 09:24:53 UTC 2018

On 7 March 2018 at 18:35, Florian Schmaus <flo at geekplace.eu> wrote:
> On 07.03.2018 19:14, Dave Cridland wrote:
>> My votes:
>> On 7 March 2018 at 17:47, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
>>> 19) CFE for XEP-0131: Stanza Headers and Internet Metadata
>>> https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0131.html
>>>
>>> Georg, Daniel, Kev +1, Sam +0
>>>

>> I really dislike this spec, but I think it's used in pubsub isn't it?
>>
>> +1
>
> Are you +1 because it is used, and would you otherwise vote -1? Is "it
> is used somewhere" really an argument to not deprecate a spec? If so, we
> possibly need a new XEP state "discouraged by used".

If a Draft specification says "MUST do XYZ", and XYZ claims it's
deprecated, we're saying that part of a Draft spec is deprecated.

https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#publisher-delete-success-subid

Something's got to be wrong there.

The reason I dislike SHIM is because it's a generic container for
data, and that's basically what XML is itself. But its design is to
act as a container for RFC 5322 header fields, which is actually a
worthy goal - albeit one we've (possibly) never used it for in
practise.

Dave.