[Standards] OBSOLETED: XEP-0071 (XHTML-IM)

Manuel Rubio manuel at altenwald.com
Thu Mar 8 10:54:49 UTC 2018

Hi guys,

I usually only read to understand and learn but sometimes I head up and
freak out with some decision. I usually read RFC and when a new one is
released it supersedes, deprecates or obsoletes another one. But, the
status of that RFC usually is definitive. Obviously it's definitive
until a better one is released (as Descartes always said there are
nothing definitive only temporal until we can find a better
solution/theory/explanation).

In this case I can see you are putting "obsolete" to XEP-0071 and it's
intended there are a new proposal better on the table... where? XEP-0071
has no explanation about why it was obsoleted only a vague description
"Per a vote of the XMPP Council, advanced to Obsolete". I wanted to know
"why".

And more important, if the XEP-0071 is obsoleted because XEP-0393 is
there... why XEP-0393 is experimental? I'm not pretty sure but looks
like you are suggesting to use something experimental instead of
something it was working for years. If XEP-0393 is the reason because
XEP-0071 is obsoleted, I think it's fair enough to advance the state
from experimental to something different for XEP-0393, IMO.

Last thing, what's the usual flow for the states? I cannot find
information here: https://xmpp.org/extensions/ ; there are only the
possibility to filter based on those states but not information about
what means each one or even how it could be advanced from one to
another.

Thanks.
Manuel Rubio.