[Standards] 0174 Serverless Messaging: Discovering Capabilities

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Thu Mar 8 15:47:50 UTC 2018

On 3/8/18 2:33 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
> On 7 March 2018 at 16:26, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
>> On 3/5/18 3:37 PM, Christian Schudt wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I find the whole passage „Discovering Capabilities“ of Serverless Messaging [1] a bit confusing.
>>
>> Are people still using this technology? In my experience, it was a fun
>> experiment in ~2006 but didn't work well in practice: too chatty over
>> the network, presence never worked correctly, you'd send a message to
>> someone and it turns out they weren't available, etc.
>
> I'm aware of people experimenting with this on ad-hoc networks such as
> emergent vehicle networks.

I heard about such things years ago, too. Are those active projects?

> While I agree that it's probably flaky as hell in practise, I think it
> remains our best shot at this.

Do *we* need to take a shot at this?

What scenarios are we or other folks trying to solve for these days?

The original use case was ad-hoc 1:1 chat at conferences and local
networks not connected to the wider Internet. While that was interesting
12 years ago, is it interesting now? Is there some other interesting
problem that serverless messaging can solve?