[Standards] 0174 Serverless Messaging: Discovering Capabilities

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Thu Mar 8 16:02:14 UTC 2018

On 8 March 2018 at 15:47, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter at stpeter.im> wrote:
> On 3/8/18 2:33 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:

>>> Are people still using this technology? In my experience, it was a fun
>>> experiment in ~2006 but didn't work well in practice: too chatty over
>>> the network, presence never worked correctly, you'd send a message to
>>> someone and it turns out they weren't available, etc.
>>
>> I'm aware of people experimenting with this on ad-hoc networks such as
>> emergent vehicle networks.
>
> I heard about such things years ago, too. Are those active projects?

Amazingly, yes.

>> While I agree that it's probably flaky as hell in practise, I think it
>> remains our best shot at this.
>
> Do *we* need to take a shot at this?
>
> What scenarios are we or other folks trying to solve for these days?
>
> The original use case was ad-hoc 1:1 chat at conferences and local
> networks not connected to the wider Internet. While that was interesting
> 12 years ago, is it interesting now? Is there some other interesting
> problem that serverless messaging can solve?

Well, that's certainly not the current use-case.

The problem they're trying to solve is where you have a number of
people and/or vehicles that are moving about, and you want structured
conversations between them, and some of these vehicles have uplinks to
a stable network. So there are gateways between XEP-0174 and S2S
floating about too.

My understanding is that it's working quite well, experimentally. But
really I'd be surprised.

Dave.