[Standards] XEP-0283 Moved - Security and Usability

Marvin Gülker m-guelker at phoenixmail.de
Fri Mar 9 20:40:44 UTC 2018

Am 09. März 2018 um 11:16 Uhr -0600 schrieb Sam Whited:
> On Fri, Mar 9, 2018, at 10:53, Georg Lukas wrote:
> > as part of Easy XMPP I wanted to have a way to completely migrate from
> > one account to another, or to be able to move a subset of your contacts
> > to another (local) JID.
>
> What is the use case you're trying to address here? And who do you
> expect to use this feature?

I've actually run into an account migration problem like this
myself. I've purchased a new domain for my personal stuff, and I'd like
to move my XMPP account from the old domain (me at olddomain.com) to the
new one (me at newdomain.com) without having to tell each and every of my
contacts that I've changed the domain and have all of the unsubscribe
and resubscribe manually.

The problem is unresolved. I currently have not switched the XMPP
account over, while e-mail forwarding to the new domain works just as it
should... If I wanted to release the old domain at some point, this
would be a problem.

Greetings
Marvin

--