[Standards] XEP-0283 Moved - Security and Usability

Georg Lukas georg at op-co.de
Mon Mar 12 17:02:20 UTC 2018

* Jonas Wielicki <jonas at wielicki.name> [2018-03-12 15:51]:
> This only works for mutual subscriptions.

Good catch, and you are right that it's not much of a problem for our
use case. I still think that unidirectional subscriptions are a horrible
result of design-by-committee, but there's not much that can be done
about them right now.

> > 2) the flow in §3.1 does an 'unsubscribe' with a payload
>
> This has the downside that the receiving entity needs to support the protocol
> for the unsubscribe to work automatically (while the unsubscribe would work
> automatically without support on the receiving side; the subscribe would
> obviously not).

The "unsubscribe" will just vanish if the receiving entity doesn't
understand the protocol, and thus the user will never figure out what
happened. OTOH, with the proposed change, server- or client-side support
will do the change automatically and invisibly to the user, and without
supprt, the user will at least still see their friend's old JID, maybe
even with some kind of "moved to XYZ" tag.

Georg