[Standards] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Mar 15 12:44:46 UTC 2018

On Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 13:36:50 CET VanitasVitae wrote:
> I would claim that a huge part of XMPP nowadays happens on mobile devices
> and I haven't seen a single rich text editor in any mobile application.
> Thats why I think that markdown is the way to go.
>
> Sending greeting cards in html sounds like an idea from the 90s to me (not
> saying that it isn't a usecase, I just haven't come across it yet).

I’m going to repeat why I think that Markdown-ish things aren’t enough: There
is interest especially in the kind of groups which would use Slack or
Mattermost to have rich-text messages. Those are usually not generated by
users, but by automated systems (for example monitoring). I’m not saying that
we should slap a rich-text editor in front of a user (even though I certainly
won’t stop anybody). I’m also saying that '393 is a really good input format,
which is why I want to make '394 compatible to that (as mentioned in the
threads back then).

kind regards,
Jonas