[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0066: Out of Band Data

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Mar 15 13:32:55 UTC 2018

On Mittwoch, 7. März 2018 20:17:29 CET Jonas Wielicki wrote:
> 1. What software has XEP-0066 implemented?

We have support for the <message/> flow in JabberCat (GPLv3), like in gajim
and Conversations as already mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

We do not implement the IQ workflow, nor do we intend to do so. This is not
due to lack of peers which support this (even though if a large number of
clients were actively using that, we would probably follow), but we think that
there are better alternatives out there.

> 2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
> defined in XEP-0066?

The <message/> flow is super straightforward. However, I think it is too
simple to be really useful. Things like MIME types, possibly a file size,
would be good to have to allow for easier UI handling. I think that SIMS is
more appropriate for this use-case.

> 3. Is the text of XEP-0066 clear and unambiguous?

Frankly, I didn’t read most of the text. I implemented this for compatibility
with Conversations and others.

For the same reason, I don’t think that the XEP as-is should go to Final. Much
of it seems to not be implemented as evidenced by the list feedback. It also
feels superseded by more modern methods of transfer.

kind regards,
Jonas