[Standards] [STANDARDS] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Jonas Wielicki jonas at wielicki.name
Thu Mar 15 13:45:23 UTC 2018

On Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 11:31:37 CET W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On 2018-03-15 10:22, Kozlov Konstantin wrote:
> > I don't want to discuss XEP-0393, 'cause the whole idea of using LML in IM
> > sounds bad. Flaws if it is obvious, so it's needless to mention them
> > again.
>
> I disagree. Yes it is ugly, but having a widely used LML, such
> as Markdown (in contrast to some strange homebrew) in XMPP would
> be a pragmatic approach, IMVHO.
>
> Many people know Markdown syntax nowadays, there are parsers for
> it in many different programming languages, and we already know
> how ugly and illogical it is. Just needs a new XEP :~)

The rationale against Markdown or RST was that people would do virtually the
same they did for XHTML-IM which lead to funny security issues (which lead to
XHTML-IM being deprecated): use arbitrary markdown parser, put result in HTML
DOM.

Now many markdown parsers allow pass-through of HTML by default.
reStructuredText allows .. raw:: html. Both is not desirable, which is why the
author of '393 (with support from the community, afaict) decided to *not* do
that.

kind regards,
Jonas