[Standards] [STANDARDS] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Sam Whited sam at samwhited.com
Thu Mar 15 14:38:29 UTC 2018

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018, at 02:22, Kozlov Konstantin wrote:
>  1. Embedding pics into messages: ~80%. Pics are used to display memes,
>     as custom smilies, as parts congratulation cards, as small parts of
>     screenshots to explain something and so on.

Custom smileys should probably be its own XEP, but I agree we should make something for that at some point.
Attatching images is better handled by XEP-0066 and does not need to be a part of a message formatting spec.  It's likely that even if you don't support formatting you may want to include an image.

>  2. Striking out parts of text to make funny messages, like author
>     wanted to insult other party say something else, but changed his/her
>     mind: ~10%
>  3. Highlighting parts of text with *bold* (sometimes *italic* or
>     _underscrore_), to add expression or just attract attention to
>     highlighted parts: ~5%

These are supported, so nothing to do there.

>  4. Using different fonts, font sizes and colors, for the same as in 3
>     or as parts of congratulation cards: ~3%.

This is an anti-pattern. It's bad for users and bad for accessibility. There is a reason most modern messaging systems leave it out. If I have a black background and you send me messages with your text color set to black, I can no longer read it. If you set your font to be tiny and I'm hard of seeing, I can no longer read it. If you set it to be huge and I'm on my phone, it takes up half the screen and I'm annoyed. etc.

>  5. Sometimes used links[1] to make messages more compact.

Links are great, feel free to automatically link URLs in your messages, I don't think we need a spec for this since most people do it already.
Making text appear as links (without showing the link itself) is only a nice to have that seems like unnecessary complexity to me, but you could certainly write a spec to do it if it's something that you have a real use case for that can't be satisfied by auto linking URLs like most clients do already.

—Sam