[Standards] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Ненахов Андрей andrew.nenakhov at redsolution.ru
Thu Mar 15 18:39:39 UTC 2018

> > However, user always knows that if he styles text using markdown,
> > it'll always be presented in rich text form.
>
> This is emphatically not true.
>
> A useful reason to use Markdown is to keep it human readable.

It will be readable by you, ok. You enable markdown for incoming
texts, have great time chatting with your pals, emphasis, underscores
and stuff, yay!
Now someone else sends you contents of config file. It is processed
with markdown. Oops.

All in all, we won't implement it in our clients, no way. In my
opinion old XEP-0071 was better, though some clients (pidgin did it a
lot, as far as i remember) did put formatted text in plaintext body,
but it's client's fault, not XEPs.

--
Ненахов Андрей
Директор ООО "Редсолюшн" (Челябинск)