[Standards] XEP-0394: too weak to replace XEP-0071

Goffi goffi at goffi.org
Fri Mar 16 11:43:14 UTC 2018

Hi I'm the main dev of Salut à Toi

Le vendredi 16 mars 2018, 10:08:12 CET Dave Cridland a écrit :

> Neither Movim nor Salut à Toi etc need to stop using XHTML embedded
> into XMPP (usually, in their case, via Atom).

That's right, we both (Movim and SàT) use full XHTML (even if XEP-0277
recommand XHTML-IM, this mention should be removed from the XEP now), and
we do sanitization before displaying it. We probably need a XHTML
sanitization good practice XEP and I may work on it with anyone interested
but not before a while, I'm too busy for now.

I was personnaly against deprecating XHTML-IM in the previous thread (and I
see some arguments coming back here), but I now think it's OK to do it as
XEP-0394 is a clean and extensible alternative.

I'm still against XEP-0393 because of its mixing of text and markup, and I
think we can achieve similar result by using XEP-0394 on the wire, and
whatever markdown developers want to use on clients.

Time will probably set this up.

Anyway, and above the disagrements, thanks to everybody working on that
(even for XEP-0393 that I dislike :) ) and trying to find the best solution
to satisfy everybody or at least most of people (developers and users).

Cheers
Goffi