[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0122: Data Forms Validation

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Mar 21 09:45:14 UTC 2018

On 14 Mar 2018 17:30, "Jonas Wielicki" <jonas at wielicki.name> wrote:

The XEP Editor would like to Call for Experience with XEP-0122 before
presenting it to the Council for advancing it to Final status.

During the Call for Experience, please answer the following questions:

1. What software has XEP-0122 implemented? Please note that the
protocol must be implemented in at least two separate codebases (at
least one of which must be free or open-source software) in order to
advance from Draft to Final.

I'm aware of at least one non-public implementation. While the
implementation is not open source, I'll try to ascertain if the authors are
happy to have it publicly listed for this purpose.

It's also relied upon by XEP-0331, and shows promise as a generic method
for richer typing in XEP-0004 forms.

2. Have developers experienced any problems with the protocol as
defined in XEP-0122? If so, please describe the problems and, if
possible, suggested solutions.

Whilst not a developer, I note that one cannot have, for example, an open
list whose values must conform to a regex, or a range.

I don't know if this has been a significant problem for developers.

3. Is the text of XEP-0122 clear and unambiguous? Are more examples
needed? Is the conformance language (MAY/SHOULD/MUST) appropriate?
Have developers found the text confusing at all? Please describe any
suggestions you have for improving the text.

I feel it's quite clear.

If you have any comments about advancing XEP-0122 from Draft to Final,
please provide them by the close of business on 2018-03-28. After the
Call for Experience, this XEP might undergo revisions to address
feedback received, after which it will be presented to the XMPP
Council for voting to a status of Final.

You can review the specification here:

https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0122.html

Please send all feedback to the standards at xmpp.org discussion list.