[Standards] Call for Experience: XEP-0066: Out of Band Data

Christian Schudt christian.schudt at gmx.de
Wed Mar 21 11:32:01 UTC 2018

>> TL;DR: The purpose is/was to transfer files in case the receiver is offline.

> Given the primary mechanism in -66 is iq-based, I don’t think this is true, or I misunderstood your point.

Maybe you are right. It was just a guess, because someone asked for the purpose of 0066.
Because the uploaded file is persistent (at least for some time), I concluded that the purpose is for offline file transfer.

Maybe the intention was to use jabber:iq:oob, in case the recipient is online and fallback to jabber:x:oob, if the recipient is offline.

Clearly the intention was to have a basic file transfer mechanism, this is what it says for jabber:iq:oob.

-- Christian